Breast Surgical Oncology
Breast Surgical Oncology was newly established from April 2019.
The department aims to conduct diagnoses, surgeries, and treatment of all breast diseases.
We have newly renovated our facility as a Breast Center facility and started operating since April 2021.
Breast diseases are diagnosed using mammography (MMG), ultrasound (echo), and breast MRI.
Furthermore, if necessary, breast (tumor) puncture aspiration is conducted to reach a definitive diagnosis with histopathology. Breast puncture aspiration is a method conducted using ultrasound and MMG.
With the definitive diagnosis, treatment is selected.
For benign diseases (fibroadenoma, phyllodes tumor, papilloma, mastopathy, etc.) and malignant diseases (breast cancer) that are determined to require surgery, a surgical method will be selected according to the disease. Surgical methods include tumor resection, partial mastectomy (breast-conserving surgery), mastectomy (total resection), nipple-sparing mastectomy, and reconstructive surgery after breast cancer surgery.
Moreover, a sentinel lymph node biopsy is conducted during surgery using radioactive isotopes (RI) and the fluorescence method using indocyanine green (ICG).
If artificial implants (expanders) need to be inserted during reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy, the surgery will be conducted simultaneously working with a plastic surgeon.
Hormone therapy before and after surgery, chemotherapy before and after surgery, radiation therapy, and treatment upon breast cancer metastasis and recurrence is conducted in consultation with Radiology and Oncology.
- Aiming to provide the latest medical care within the scope of insurance coverage
Advances in breast cancer treatment are being made on a daily basis, and it is not rare to find that what was common sense five or ten years ago no longer applies. Our goal is to constantly incorporate the latest information and treatment, ensuring that patients receive the best possible treatment.
- The department addresses breast diseases in both men and women.
We aim to provide specialized outpatient breast care. Breast diseases occur in both men and women. Breast cancer in particular is often seen in women, but men can also develop breast cancer. Approximately 5% to 10% of breast cancer risk is caused by genetic abnormalities, and we are creating a system to ensure that genetic counseling and genetic testing are available to both men and women in a better environment.
- The department has breast specialists.
The department strives to provide highly specialized care to patients with advanced technologies to address breast diseases with a team consisting of a Japan Surgical Society Board Certified Physician, specialist, and Japanese Breast Cancer Society Board Certified Physician and specialist.
- Aiming to shorten the duration of patient anxiety
For patients with no underlying conditions, the department creates a treatment plan with the goal of starting treatment or surgery within 30 days of the breast cancer diagnosis.
(3) Our Strengths
- Surgery and treatment are determined based on sufficient conferences to determine the treatment plan. Moreover, for breast cancer treatment a cross-functional cancer board will meet regularly to provide the optimal treatment.
- A team will be created consisting of Breast Surgical Oncology, Radiology, Oncology, nurses, ultrasound and radiation technicians, a genetic counselor, Orthopedic Surgery, and physical therapist to provide team medical care that is in tune with the patient.
At NTT Medical Center Tokyo, our dedicated Breast Centre is able to offer a wide range of breast cancer screening services. Imaging facilities on-site include mammography, ultrasound and MRI. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any inquiries. Patients with previous abnormalities identified on imaging are kindly requested to bring these results with them to the consultation if possible.
Message for Our Patients
- Breast Surgical Oncology is a department specializing in breast care that was newly established in April 2019.
In order to take the time to provide the best medical care, the sites, equipment, and personnel are schedule to be updated as needed. This may be an inconvenience to Breast Surgical Oncology patients. In order to enhance the sites and awareness of the medical professionals, we ask that you not hesitate to mention anything that may be lacking. Please consult the outpatient department with any questions.
- In order to enhance breast cancer treatment going forward, the department will be conducting various kinds of research alongside consultations. Patients may be asked to give their consent upon receiving an explanation of the respective research projects.